• Question: what type of GCSES do you need for your occupation?

    Asked by Frankie;) to Michael, Lyd, Holly, Mark on 8 Nov 2015. This question was also asked by MaryandFinnick?.
    • Photo: Holly Miller

      Holly Miller answered on 8 Nov 2015:

      This usually depends on which career path you are going to take. If you are going to University first, they will ask for certain GCSE’s depending on which course you are doing. If you are doing an Apprenticeship, the company will ask for certain GCSE’s.
      Maths is usually on the list for Engineering. I studying Chemical Engineering and, if I remember right, I needed Maths, Chemistry and another science.

    • Photo: Lydia James

      Lydia James answered on 9 Nov 2015:

      It does depend on which route you take: apprenticeship or university. For the apprenticeship route there are different levels to go through based on your grades and job role in the company. On the job vacancy offers company’s will clearly state in the qualification section if they want specific subjects, otherwise they generally ask for 5 A*-C grade GCSEs with maths, english language and a science being the most important. Some employees are willing to start young apprentices on B-Tec Level 2 courses which are a GCSE equivalent to help the candidate progress through the academic side of the apprenticeship.
      I studied maths and physics as A-Levels and had GCSEs grades above a C required for my apprenticeship.

    • Photo: Michael Sulu

      Michael Sulu answered on 10 Nov 2015:

      I guess there is only 1 route to my occupation.

      You’d need to do Maths and a science at A level so i think you would need to do quite well in maths and science at GCSE level too, then it is a long time at university!

    • Photo: Mark Dougherty

      Mark Dougherty answered on 16 Nov 2015:

      Food technology would also be really helpful if you want to go into engineering area like mine 🙂